Several Ukrainian films of recent years are devoted to the topic of the war in Donbass, which has become almost the main pain of Ukrainians. One of the most notable films on this topic is Donbass ("Донбасс", 2018)
, awarded of the Cannes Film Festival. The film consistently presents 13 stories.
1. Made-up extras giving fake interviews.
2. A Ukrainian woman lynching over the mayor during a deputy session.
3. The hoax of medical personnel of the city maternity hospital.
4. The stealing chief physician transported through the Ukrainian checkpoint.
5. Bribes taken from passengers of the intercity bus. Search and mockery are carried out.
6. A German journalist appearing among Donetsk militias and military.
7. The conversation between the girl and her refugee mother during the tour of the bomb shelter compartments.
8. Envoys of a peacekeeping action with the relics of the epic hero Churila Plenkovich.
9. Looting among the militias being suppressed. They are being punished in front of the formation.
10. The new government's marauding and taking the jeep from the businessman.
11. People communicating with a captive volunteer, which leads to reprisal of the crowd.
12. A marriage ceremony celebrated according to the laws of Novorossiya. Military clashes at night.
13. Extras again. The scenario changes dramatically and the tragedy happens in real life.
The film is based on amateur videos of people who have witnessed events in Eastern Ukraine. According to the director, this was the only way to convey the true atmosphere of what had been happening and to draw the attention of the West to the problems of Ukraine.